Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Improper CE Mark Penalties?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dwt

Agricultural
Sep 4, 2002
CA
Does anyone have actual examples of penalties/fines imposed for improper application of the CE Mark? Specifically on self certifiable items under the Machinery Directive. I have heard reference of monetary fines and possible jail terms for the person signing the Declaration of Conformity but no specifics.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I've been involved with challanges and also product roped off by Health and Safety in the EU. I also have been involved in an investigation after someone was hurt and lost a leg. The point is that when a real accident does happen or a challenge is made by a Health and Safety offical, a customer or a competitor, the person who signed off on the Declaration better have the Technical File and all the right answers or they will go to court.

The Declaration of Conformity is a legal document, the person who signs it should be an officer of the company and carry insurance as part of the position. You are liable, if for some reason there is an investigation and it is decided that the product was not conformant, the challenge will go through the legal process. Christopher Caserta
ccaserta@us.tuv.com
Ph:904-225-0360

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back