Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Improve programming skill 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

burcheitt

Computer
Nov 9, 2004
US
burcheitt (Computer) Nov 9, 2004
I really want to improve my programming skill.

Some people says that in order to improve programming is by coding game or Indexing method for text files.

Can someone please explain what 'Indexing method for text files" is?

And do you know any websites that has tutuiol for "Indexing method for text files"

Thank you very much.

BB

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Improving your programming skill is quite broad. Like any other skill, the key to getting better is to practice, practice, and then practice.

Personally, if you want to learn how to index a text file, go for it, but I don't see that as task that you will repreat very often. It will be good practice, but I think you'd be better off looking around in your situation for something more pertinent. Ask yourself where a computer program would improve the situation, and then map out a solution, do the design work, and then write the code.

Good Luck
--------------
As a circle of light increases so does the circumference of darkness around it. - Albert Einstein

thanks. Cajun.

do you know where can I buy a very simple system with software and hardware or something so I can practice coding that make the hardware do something.

BB

Improving your coding skill can come from various areas. The biggest help will probably come from attempting projects never done before (by you), and continually building upon them to increase functionality. While the project is small, you'll learn the basics. As the project grows, you'll become more comfortable with the basics and become adventurous, try new peripherals or code snippets. As they become really large, you'll begin to note deficiancies in your coding style and attempt to find new ways around them. As you do so, you'll remember what worked and what didn't, hopefully not making the same mistakes again for the next project.

Organization. Learn problem solving techniques, brainstorming. Don't start coding without the complete solution preconcieved. Read, ask questions, consider the whole task. Look for portable solutions. Code by utilizing exsisting modules or objects. Don't reinvent exsisting code. Investigate and build reference libraries of modules/objects. How you manage and apply this library will determine your success.

If your hardware coding, download modules from the manufacturer. You need not know specifically how they work, but knowing how useful thier application can be is vital.

Most of your work can be done off the internet. There is a vast collection of hobbists that offer machine level coding for almost any device. Add these to your libraries.

If you need real power in a small and cheap package, I would recommend the TiniARM from NewMicros. It is an ARM processor with crystal, voltage regulators, RS232, parallel I/O and more on a tiny board. It has 128 kbytes of flash and 64 kbytes of static ram, which is a lot. The language is FORTH (preferred for embedded control) and it has a built-in assembler if you ever need that. I have done some real fast real time things without needing to go down to the "assembler cellar". But it is good to know that you can, if you really need to.

I have used FORTH for more than twenty years - and I still love it. The price for that board is around 70 dollars.

I have a degree in Computer Engineering but didn't really start coding until recently. I use C at work, but decided embedded design isn't the way to go and started to teach myself web design. After doing some research I decided the best scripting language to learn would be PHP, so I went out and bought 3 books on PHP Programming. I soon realized that I needed HTML books, Javascript books, mySQL books, Photoshop books, etc.

I started by coding examples in the books and came up with an idea of a project to start on my own that would incorporate each of the different technologies I was teaching myself. Now I just read and code while the project is expanding. I learn new things every day and with all of the information out there I'll never learn it all. I can only hope to learn enough to get out of this industry.

All in all, decide what you want to do, get the resources to learn it, and start coding toward a particular goal. As you mees your goal set new ones and continue that until you've achieved expert status.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back