Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

improved sfc from charge air cooling

Status
Not open for further replies.

opsguy

Electrical
Jul 3, 2010
UG
are there any rules of thumb on what benefit I could reasonably expect in SFC by lowering charge air temperature by 10 decgrees C - 4 MW land based diesel engine running on 180cst HFO 1200M above sea level

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Don't see why it would matter. Diesels run lean and without a throttle. Lots of extra air, and just add fuel to meet needed torque output. So fuel consumption just depends on how much is required to meet torque/power demand.

You will definitely see improved BSFC with lower charge air temp. I ran extensive dyno mapping of BSFC vs many variables including charge air temp in a previous job. It was a significantly smaller motor, about 1/10th the power rating, but the trend should be the same. The test was also not at altitude but again I think the trend is the same. I'm assuming this is a 4 stroke intercooled turbo diesel.

Someone may have an equation for you but I'll try to find my test data, I think I have the it at home.

Go figure. Interesting. A couple possible reasons that came to my mind for improved efficiency were, 1) more air for a given amount of fuel means cp/cv of the mix gets higher and closer to that of just air, and 2) lower starting temps mean lower temps throughout the cycle, which would reduce heat loss. But I wouldn't think a drop of 10C would make a big difference in those couple things.

There is a graph in Heywood, (Fig. 15-24), which shows improvements in efficiency with AFR. Going from, say, 27C to 17C would mean a mass-flow rate improvement of about 1.7%, (sqrt[300/290] - 1), so for a given fuel-flow rate, AFR would go up by that percentage. From that graph in Heywood, doesn't look like that would be a significant change at all.

But maybe there are some other reasons for it? Look forward to seeing the data.

I think it may depend on what's driving your injection timing. If you're unable to advance timing because of a NOx limit (emissions), then 10deg cooler air may let you get a few degrees injection advance, which could reduce your sfc by several g/bkw-hr. If you're up against a cylinder pressure limit, then the denser charge air might cause you to violate that limit (or retard timing).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back