Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Improved thermal conductivity of carbon fiber+epoxy composite

Status
Not open for further replies.

phoenix221

Computer
Aug 21, 2004
CA
Hi all,

Is there a way to improve the thermal conductivity of carbon fiber, multi layer composites (using epoxy)?
I've hear of some metal additives that are mixed into the epoxy but they degrade mechanical performance :-(

Any other way to go about this in a cost effective way? I'd like to get close to the thermal conductivity of metals if possible...

Thanks,
M

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

>Look into using K1100 or Mitsubishi K13D fibers. They have
> an axial conductivity 4 times better than copper.

I've searched the web and I found out that this is a form of carbon fiber. Who offers sleeves in this material?

I am moving this info here for reference. Compositepro suggested this in another thread by me.

By Compositepro:
You might consider twisting the carbon fiber tows. Axial conductivity of carbon fiber is much greater than radial conuctivity. Twisting the fiber will mean that axial heat flow will cause heat to flow though the ply thickness as well. Twist also makes the fiber easier to wrap around a rod. Twisted fibers "rope-up" under tension, however.

Pitch fibers have higher thermal conductivity than Pan fibers.

Higher the graphitization temperature the higher the thermal conductivity. What you give up is strength but have much higher stiffness

We had done in the pass was used P-55 fibers woven it into a 3-D shape and then perform a high temperature graphitization process. We have built actively cooled panels

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back