Improvement!!!! 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrProjectEng

Mechanical
Nov 10, 2016
TR
Hello;

I am Mechanical Engineer and working as Project Engineer in energy sector. I'd like to improve myself. What could I do? Any idea? .... I consider German could be or anything related to be my job...

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

English is not my first.

I would like to have more qualifications over my job or personality. Actually there is not point hence I am asking what could i do on myself. what is your ideas or currently you have done to yourself.

I consider Project management such as PMI etc. But it rarely uses on my job. But it could be a choise.

By the way second language is how necessary?

I know it mostly depends on my personel interest or will. But just I would like your opinions.

Thanks...

OK, you are doing far better writing in English than I would in Turkish, but it is obviously one area you could work on. If you think German would be directly applicable /in your field/ then go for it, but bear in mind most German engineers speak English, and worldwide it is a bit of a niche.

Bear in mind that the teachable aspects of project management are rather obvious, the rest is blather and theory.

Cheers

Greg Locock

New here? Try reading these, they might help FAQ731-376

You mean " what could I do to move from project engineer to mechanical engineer job?"
Is this the "non-politically correct" part of your question ?

I would say if your job does involve some technical content/tasks, to a certain extent (I assume project engineer stands slightly better than project manager is this respect, all thought job descriptions vary), then stick around knowledgeable engineers and get as mush as technical exposure as you can as long as it does not compromise your role and responsibilities assigned by your employer. In this way you can sell your technical skills better when you will be applying for even more technically oriented job.

Or maybe this was just me, again.

The real lingua franca for engineers is mathematics.

At several former employers, I have found it helpful to:
- Develop spreadsheets to make the boring stuff go faster, or be better organized.
- Keep daily 'chron' files for each project and one as a sort of daily diary. No opinion or conjecture, just a record of what happened, who said what to whom, what broke and when, that sort of thing. Documents of this sort can be helpful when lawyers come snooping around and your memory is not sufficiently precise. Keep these files on a thumbdrive in your pocket.
- Make math models of the product, so as to better understand how it works, and maybe to help predict how proposed changes will screw it up, and to try and put some actual physics underneath the 'lore' and 'stuff that everyone knows'.
- Retain a copy of the internal phonebook, because names get fuzzy after a few years.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Hello everybody:

If your activity is thermal or nuclear, you may be interested in the Heat Transfer, Thermodynamics. If it is hydraulic, you can deepen in Mechanics of Fluids, Pumps or Turbomachinery. Certainly, the scope of Mechanical Engineering is very broad.

El que no puede andar, se sienta.

Hello 21121956,

Thermal energy sector I am working in such, specifically operation and construction, thermodynamics is one of our main topic, which is designed systems. It could be good choice burt not enough to improve yourself in this sector.

Maybe , rewenable energy sector could be good choice to follow up and learn design and construction paramaters.

If you could help me this topic, Please let me know.

Thanks.

My first idea for you is to improve your English skills. Then, focus on physical health. Keep yourself in good operating condition. Your body and mind are your greatest assets, so take care of them.

When you are healthy, your brain functions better. You will be able to do everything better if you keep your body and mind more healthy.

Do these things regularly:
- Physical excercise
- Eat food that is good for your brain.

"Formal education is a weapon, whose effect depends on who holds it in his hands and at whom it is aimed." ~ Joseph Stalin

The further up the corporation ladder you go, the more important your financial knowledge and quality improvement/management of people and products will become. But start technically.

Unless you work for Siemens in Europe, German is less important than English.

I agree, while English is wide-spread in Europe, it is in fact way less than one might think. If you match a job description perfectly you will get it. If you don't (and that's the vast majority of the time) if you don't speak the local language you won't get the job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back