Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

In-Field Mechanical Rebar Splice

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattmlm

Structural
Oct 13, 2005
I've got some auger-cast-in-place tension piles that have had the center tension bar broken off at about 1-2 ft above the top of pile. In order to get them to the top of pile cap, I need to mechanical splice on another bar with either the proper hook or terminator at the top.

I could have them drill and grout in another bar because the 1-2 ft is not enough for a proper lap-splice length, or have them use a mechanical splice. The problem is the only mechanical splices that I'm familiar with, have to be prepared in the shop. I've got #10 bars, Any suggestions?

MLM
EIT
JDA

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

My field was structural but, I did do some rebar in the early '60's where CAD welding was used on some large verticles...don't know if that would work on 'tens' though.

Rod

I've got Lenton Terminator's and Form Savers all over this project, but they have to be shop prepared or machined (male/female ends). They can't machine these tips in the field.

From my experience, welding rebar is not generally accepted, due to ductility issues. It can be done, but it's not something I want to hang over full time to make sure it is done properly.

I'm leaning towards the 'Zap ScrewLok' bar splice. It looks as though only 10" of the tip needs to be accessible and the splice will develop the full capacity of the bar. I'm limited by what the contractor has or can obtain, in order to expedite construction, that's why I'm looking for more options.

Thanks,

MLM
EIT
JDA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back