Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

In-House Overhead Hoist/Crane Design

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoldyPepp

Mechanical
Mar 8, 2024
US
I am trying to determine if a company can design and build their own monorail crane, for in-house use only, without obtaining any certifications or having a PE stamp.
I see many codes regarding inspections and installation, but I haven't found anything yet saying what kind of certifcation on the design or build may be required.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

For the part of the install that requires interaction with building codes officials, stamped drawings are usually a requirement (of the building codes authority).

For parts of the job where the building codes authority has no jurisdiction, the requirement for a PE to oversee the job becomes an owners risk question. How does the owner want to ensure compliance with OSHA for example, 29CFR1910.179 - Overhead and gantry cranes. Take note of the ASME B30 standards incorporated by reference.

If you are in a business that sells into specific markets where the customer places contract restrictions on your companies crane management you may have additional requirements similar to those issued by the Navy Crane Center. There is information at the link regarding the certifying of weight handling equipment as fit for purpose, which is more completely developed than similar information contained in OSHA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back