Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

In Service Inspection of Control Valves

Status
Not open for further replies.

James01

Petroleum
Feb 4, 2003
GB
Does anybody know of an effective technique for in service inspection of Globe Control Valves.

I have a problem with solids erosion on the outlet side of the valves that I need to keep an eye on whislt remaining on-stream. Radiography is effective on diameters up to and including 3", UT has proved ineffective due to the internal variations in thickness, internal and external surfaces not parallel to one another (cast bodies).

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Bill

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately I need to get early indications of erosion damage, long before it leaks. We do use leak testing for the seals around the valve stem on a regular basis.

Thanks
Jim

James

I have seen valves up to 6" easily x-rayed using a cobalt source. Not every NDT contractor has a cobalt source it's worth a try.

pvcguy

Never thought of Cobalt purely because there is no way it would be allowed offshore to the platform.

Thanks anyway
Jim

If you mark up the valve end with a grid system and take regular U/T wall thickness readings at exactly the same grid references, then they would be relative and provide a base-line reference.

You could then identify any loss of wall thickness, from the starting measurement, at any reference point. If you need lots of readings, you just use a smaller grid.

This is the principle used on many in-service inspection regimes. They take the readings at installation and compare them at intervals pre-determined by the written schemes of examination.

Regards,
Quadswift

James01,

I used to use cobalt offshore and it was never a problem, with proper collimation and shielding it is do-able the biggest hurdle is handling as the exposure device is rather heavy and 2 find an NDT contractor with a cobalt source ` 50 ci or so.

Also Mr. Blums suggestion re leak detection I think or at least I interpreted it as using an ultrasonic leak detector to listen to the sound from the valve for changes . Take a new valve and compare it's signature to one that is known to have corrosion. There should be a marked difference in the sound signature. The valve does not need to be leaking to the atmoshere only internally past the ball or seat.

Hope this clarifies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back