Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

In what orientations do antennas cancel each other out? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

kirr45

Computer
Dec 9, 2011
US
Hi everyone.

I am curious to know more about antenna orientation. For example. I had an RFID reader hooked up with two antennas. One antenna was horizontal on the side of a doorway. The second antenna was attached above the door pointing down. I noticed when I was trying to read a tag, the top antenna could read it even though i was holding the tag closer to the antenna on the side of the doorway. Does this make sense? How can I figure this out? It doesn't make sense. I want to learn more about antenna configuration and how to maximize the antenna wave propogation efficiency.

Thanks guys

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

RFID technology is a poor domain to be trying to learn the basics of RF. There are too many potential complications. Based on your description, it seems likely that you've stumbled into one of the complications.

Try swapping the two antenna connections on the Reader (I'm assuming that they're interchangable). See if the preference follows the antenna, or the Reader's port.

It's crazy. With RFID I've noticed the biggest problem comes from antenna placement and configuration. Any ideas on how I could learn more or experiment to gain experience?

In the long term, nothing like Amateur ('Ham') Radio as a hobby to learn about radio.

Beware that practical antennas often have physical matching networks (e.g. gamma match) that tend to ruin the perfect nulls (because they contain bits of metal not perfectly parallel with the element). So instead of getting 'infinity dB' loss at the null, one might get just -30dB or so.

Obviously this doesn't apply to all types of antennas/feeds; some may provide higher cross polarization isolation.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back