Incinerator Emissions and Standard Oxygen

Status
Not open for further replies.

tropic1

Civil/Environmental
Jul 6, 2006
BM
Hi,

I need to compare some MSWI emission data with various international standards. The incinerator data are reported at 8.2% O2, US regs at 7% O2 and EU regs at 11% O2. I have seen details of how to convert gas data using details from a US EPA site:
(
Is this also appropriate for converting emissions data for metals, particulate matter and dioxins?

Thanks very much.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Tropic1:

The answer is no....read Question #1 and it's answer on the EPA site you reference. The non-gas materials are measured on a mass basis and are not variable with gas volume flow.

Orenda

Thanks Orenda,

However, Question #1 on the web page relates to mass emission RATES, not mass concentrations. Conversion of concentration data to standard oxygen basis is intended to account for dilution of stack gas by ambient air and so surely it should apply to all concentration measurements. My question arises from the fact that I have so far only seen it applied in reference to concentration data for stack gases such as NOx and SO2.

Regards,

T1

T1:

"A power plant has a mass emission rate of 100 lbm/min of SO2 at a 10% oxygen level. What is its mass emission rate corrected to a 7% standard oxygen level?

Answer: 100 lbm/min

Only concentration data and gas flow rate data are corrected, not mass data. Concentration can be diluted by ambient air. The gas flow rate of the gas stream can be described with or without the dilution air entering the system. Regardless of these changes, the mass of the pollutant being emitted is constant.

The conversions of concentration data and gas flow rate data are performed simply to facilitate unit-to-unit comparisons and aid in emission calculations. These mathematical procedures obviously do not change the mass quantities emitted."

If you are stating particulate emmissions in ppm concentration as opposed to the more standard lbs/kg etc. per mmBTU or per lb.(s) of flue gas, then the correction to actual O2 is appropriate. The more appropriate measure of non-gas particulate matter for comparison with data elsewhere is mass quantity. In any case mass quantity is easily converted to mass rate by knowing flue gas flow which can be calculated from fuel composition and excess air data.

Orenda

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back