Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Incomplete Threads 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

CheckerHater

Mechanical
Sep 22, 2009
US
Is there a way in SolidWorks to:

a) Specify a length of incomplete thread?

b) Control a length of incomplete thread thru Hole Wizard or by other means?

Capture_bdliko.jpg

Thank you in advance. Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

"For every expert there is an equal and opposite expert"
Arthur C. Clarke Profiles of the future

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

CheckerHater,

What do you mean by an incomplete thread? If you specify something like M12X1.75X18, the thread is 18mm deep. The pilot hole is (and is modelled) several millimetres deeper.

If you are doing something weird that SolidWorks did not anticipate, you will have to model it. I have posted instructions on my website on how to model Parametric threads in SolidWorks.

--
JHG

Nothing weird, just feature dimensioned as Standard recommends:

Capture_ootavq.jpg

Why SolidWorks still doesn't anticipate it, that's another question. :)

Incomplete threads are the tapered lead. Specifically you are determining the tap depth.
It's not clear cut because a bottom tap will not leave incomplete threads.

SBaugh said:
The thread-depth is controlled when you are looking down at the threaded hole, its never dimensioned from the side view.

Says who? I quoted ASME Y14.6. What do you have to show?

FACS said:
It's not clear cut because a bottom tap will not leave incomplete threads.

Bottom tap WILL leave incomplete threads, they just will be shorter. Go to machine shop or hardware store and take a look.

chtopher said:
I know what incomplete threads are. But, I'm curious what would you use them for?

I agree, it may be extremely rare. But some time you have to be precise to specify where thread ends (and how) and where smooth surface starts (especially when you cannot separate them with a groove :))

CheckerHater,

When I call up a tapped hole, I am interested in the depth of the complete thread. I may require a blind hole. I agree that plug taps are (less) tapered. Why do I care about the tapered part of the thread?

If you have a weird requirement for your thread, show a section view, and model it.

--
JHG

I have had situations where a tapped hole must not break through (must be blind) but the maximum number of full threads are also required for strength. Even a flat bottom tap has a tapered section of "incomplete threads". In that case I would specify a flat bottom tap and a required minimum full thread depth. Any threads beyond that depth would be incomplete.

I was never taught that away and I especially taught to NEVER dimension to hidden lines ever.

Here is what I found online:
ASME_dimensions_ijakof.jpg

The way you are showing it in the image, and how its dimensioned is how I was taught what the symbols are and how to read the dimension from the hole side. For me, I won't be dimensioning my drawings like that, it goes against everything I was ever taught (or beaten in my head [banghead]) in college
ASME_dimensions2_zwr4zf.jpg

If you need a specific amount of full threads to be in the actual design, I think that would have to be determined in the model and specify the depth in the drawing with a note noting the requirement, but that's just my opinion. I don't think SW will be able to do what you are asking though. Have you just tried to model the thread yourself to see if you can get the correct amount of threads into the part? You can always suppress it so it's not being used in your assembly.

Kind regards,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
CAD Systems Manager
Evapar

"If it's not broke, Don't fix it!"
faq731-376

SBaugh said:
I was never taught that away and I especially taught to NEVER dimension to hidden lines ever.

Dear Scott, when you reference the Standard, it helps to reference REAL Standard like this:

Capture_aohmhl.jpg

And yes, you are right. SolidWorks is not able to do what I need. This is the answer to my original question.

Thank you all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back