Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Inconel 625 annealed 8" bar - Hardness near OD vs Center

Status
Not open for further replies.

nanobot29

Mechanical
Apr 5, 2011
US
I'm curious as to how the strength of an annealed 8inch round bar made of Inconel 625 varies from center to O.D. Is it possible that the strength (and hardness) is much higher the further you go out in radius? if so, by how much? Material cert shows that the material was tested to have a yield strength of 65 ksi but i feel that if a ring (with dimensions 8"OD x 6"ID x 1"w) was machined out of a cross section of the annealed bar it would have a much higher yield strength.

The 8" bar was annealed at 1600 F and water quenched.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Inconel 625 is not hardened by heat treatment so any variability in hardness across the diameter will be from processing effects prior to a proper solution annneal treatment. Since 8" round is a rather large diameter, I would expect variability in hardness from the center to the mid-radius to the OD surface.

Since this was not a solution anneal I would expect it to be slightly harder toward the center.
But it really depends on the prior thermomechanical history of the bar (forge ratios and such).

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Plymouth Tube

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back