Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Inconel 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I should ask which Inconel, since it is the brand name for a family of Ni based alloys.
Unless you are concerned about the surface contact resistance then no, surface etching will no impact on the over all electrical or thermal conductivity of a bulk solid.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, consulting work welcomed

If you want to carry out a very precise analysis, a change in the thickness of the oxide layer and / or a change in the roughness could affect the conductivity.

It will not affect the bulk conductivity of nickel (or any other alloy), but by removing the oxide scale it will lower resistance at the contact points between two metals.

Resistance at corroded surfaces is the main reason copper is preferred to silver for audio cables, despite silver having better conductivity.

"Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but they are not entitled to their own facts."

I don't know how you would etch a Ni Cr alloy and not have the natural Cr oxide reform in air quickly. That is why these alloys have outstanding corrosion resistance.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, consulting work welcomed

4X4...

As I understand it, very few acids will actually etch-thru high nickel alloy oxides [especially those formed in-service]... and MOST of those acid-mixtures are the most dangerous and difficult to use in existence. YUCK.

Also, these surfaces develop a normal oxide layer due to oxygen and heat exposure... so IF stripped to 'bare metal' it will soon return to oxidized metal surface state... only cleaner.

Regards, Wil Taylor
o Trust - But Verify!
o We believe to be true what we prefer to be true. [Unknown]
o For those who believe, no proof is required; for those who cannot believe, no proof is possible. [variation,Stuart Chase]
o Unfortunately, in science what You 'believe' is irrelevant. ["Orion", Homebuiltairplanes.com forum]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back