Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Increase thickness of an existing wall

Status
Not open for further replies.

ebsico

Civil/Environmental
Mar 4, 2016
IQ
I need to increase the height of an existing retaining wall from 5 to 9 m .
The overall stability of the structure is checked.
BUT i need to increase its thickness .
Should i use bars anchored bars with epoxy to make sure that the two structures are working as one

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You're going to need to give significantly more info regarding what you're trying to do in order to get real applicable answers.

You may want to switch this over to the Structural forum, even though many of us peruse other forums I think that would get the most exposure for you. You could start a new thread there and just ask for this one to be deleted.

AS far as additional information people would expect:
- current thickness versus required thickness
- How are you magically getting from 5-9m? Are you increasing the height of the wall, or are you removing an internal diaphragm causing a portion of the wall to be two floors?
- What are we retaining?
- Cantilevered wall, or does it have a support at the top (I assume at that height we're talking supported)?

Perhaps a sketch of the situation would be a good thing to add. More info in = better responses.

Forget the problem with the thickness of the wall... how are you going to deal with the increased overturning to the footing? You will not be able to enlarge the footing.

You are probably looking at doing either a tieback system or a new wall.

Agree with jarod too in that more information would be beneficial here.

Mike McCann, PE, SE (WA)

THANK YOU FOR YOUR REPLY AND SORRY FOR THE DELAY
THAT'S A SKETCH OF THE STRUCTURE (ATTACHMENT)
ITS A BUILDING RETAINING WALL
SO I DON'T THINK I HAVE AN OVERTURNING PROBLEM
EXISTING WALL THICKNESS 30 CM THE NEW ONE I SHOULD ADD 30 CM SO 60 CM
WHAT I ' M ASKING IS THE CONNECTION BETWEEN THE OLD AND NEW ONE
IF I WANT TO CALCULATE THE EPOXY ANCHORAGE AND THE STEEL USED SHOULD I LOOK INTO THE SHEAR FORCES
AND THAN FIND THE ANCHORAGE NEEDED

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=82957999-c48e-4017-ac10-e4fcb45a0280&file=WALL.PNG
Have you checked that first level support for the added load?

Yes, epoxying bars and roughening of the existing wall face will be required for the wall to act compositely. If you need the compression steel, then you're hooped because you won't be able to provide the ties required.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back