Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Increasing the curve to txt GRIP program point limit 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

diane2000

Mechanical
Jun 21, 2021
US
Hi guys. I need to extract data from a curve in an NX file to turn into points to graph in MatLab. I have been using John R. Baker's GRIP file and it seems that the limit of output points is 1000. I am doing a quality analysis so I would like to have the data be as accurate as possible, with up to 10,000 data points. Would anybody be able to edit the GRIP code to increase the point limit? Many thanks.

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=582d2296-9c7a-46f5-b7af-b49b134aae62&file=Pts_Along_Any_Curve_to_txt-file.grx
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You need the source code. It's labeled as a .grs file. And even after it's edited, you need to compile it, which requires a GRIP development license.

John R. Baker, P.E. (ret)
EX-'Product Evangelist'
Irvine, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

The secret of life is not finding someone to live with
It's finding someone you can't live without

Change this value to the desired number:

Screen_Shot_2021-06-21_at_11.15.42_AM_vbfnfb.png

However, you'll have to get someone else to compile the program since I no longer have access to any licenses of NX.

John R. Baker, P.E. (ret)
EX-'Product Evangelist'
Irvine, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

The secret of life is not finding someone to live with
It's finding someone you can't live without

Do you have a module named GRADE? That is the latest GRip Advanced Development Extension. You may have it and not realize it.

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."

Ben Loosli

In the start menu -> NX program group, there should be a link for "Tool - NX Open Grip" (if you are on an older version, it might just be "NX Open Grip"). I think that the mach bundles come with a Grip execute/compile license, but I might be wrong on that point. If you start the tool and try to compile without a license, I suspect it will let you know fairly quickly...

www.nxjournaling.com

A GRIP program is a standalone program that you will run either inside a interactive NX session (your case) or in a separate "batch process" , similar to "running invisible on a server" .
It is an old Unigraphics-specific programming language. Still working but no longer developed, no enhancements. Development halted many years ago.
Replaced by other non NX specific programming languages. such as C++ , Java, .Net etc.

Editing /compiling is done in a special "environment" which is /was named GRADE. ( I think that name is gone)
I do not have the license anymore, it's not part of the Mach1 or Mach2 license bundles that I have access to. ( neither seems it be available w "Token license".)
If you do not know if you have that license or not , you will have to try compile, depending on the outcome you either have the license or not...
I hope the image below shows how to: ( when pressing enter in the right window you will either receive "successfully compiled" or "No such License"
Note that this tool is developed pre-Windows. I would not attempt file names nor directories containing spaces or "non ASCII" characters in the name.

2021-06-23_17-32-48_jwcpc6.jpg

Regards,
Tomas

Never try to teach a pig to sing. I wastes your time and it annoys the pig.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back