independent testing for CE

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnl69

Electrical
Dec 15, 2008
GB
Hi All

How do I know if my product requires independent testing?

My product is a small electrical device that is designed to control the level of water in a container the unit consists of a transformer,a few transistors,a relay and a couple of float switches. Because the unit runs on 240v I beleive I need to comply with the low voltage regulations and because of the transformer and relay I think I need to comply with the EMC regulation aswell. I have the CE certificate for all components involved but am unsure whether or not I need to have the product independently tested to comply.

john

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

John
If your product has CE marking it means you are allowed to sell or purchase in the countries defined under the CE banner and it complies with all relevant standards in those countries for that type of product. If the manufacturer has applied the CE mark then they should have done the necessary testing, otherwise they are breaking the law.
The LVD (Low Voltage Directive 72/23/EEC) would apply to any electrical equipment or appliance used in the voltage range 50-1000Vac and 75-1500Vdc. Your product should have a declaration of conformity to determine this otherwise the CE mark cannot be applied.
With regards EMC, as long as the products are installed as the manufacturer determines in their documentation, then you should be compliant. There should be no need for further testing if all products of the system carry the CE mark.
It doesn't mean you are not going to get problems, it simply means "you have done your best to ensure the installation will limit the impact of EMC related problems".

You must state in instructions the device is not intended for use in pressure vessels, otherwise the device may be consider a safety accesory under Directive 97/23/CE.

Regards from Barcelona
G. García

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back