Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

INDEX MATCH WITH A SECOND MATCH?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenja824

Automotive
Nov 5, 2014
US
My original index match formula was this...
=IF(ISNA(INDEX(E:E,MATCH($T3,$B:$B,0))),0,INDEX(E:E,MATCH($T3,$B:$B,0)))
This searched column B:B for a name of an NFL player"T3" and returned the total Touchdowns for the season which was in column B:B.

I have now placed a total of three years worth of stats in the range. Which means the player's name will be listed in three different rows. In column A:A is the year for each row of stats.

So now I need the formula to return the Touchdowns, which is in column E:E that not only coincides with the correct players name in column B:B, but also the correct year in column A:A

In case I didnt make sense, another way to say it is.... S3 = 2015 .... T3 = Aaron Rodgers
If Aaron Rodgers is in the same row as 2016 OR 2014 it will be ignored.
The number in column E:E and in the same row as Aaron Rodger and 2015 will be returned.

I would upload my workbook but I had a bunch of other formulas all over it in testing and old ones I started with the thing is just one big mess right now. lol I started using VLookups and was switching to Index Match formulas when I ran into this.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi,

Plz either post an actual example (in rows & columns using TGML tags) like...
[pre]
Heading1 Heading2
Cell21 Cell22
Cell31 Cell32
[/pre]
...or upload a sample workbook.

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my OLD subtlety...
for a NUance![tongue][/sub]

Here's my GUESS and a stab at a solution...
[pre]
Year Player Touchdowns FirstDowns

2014 Rogers 22 333
2015 Rogers 33 444
2016 Rogers 44 555
2014 Smith 55 666
2015 Smith 66 777
2016 Smith 77 888
[/pre]

Then the "lookup" which is not a lookup but a SUM with multiple conditions. This example uses Named Ranges for the above table and this summary table starts in cell G1...
[pre]
(G1) Touchdowns FirstDowns
2015 Rogers =SUMPRODUCT((Year=$G2)*(Player=$H2)*INDIRECT(I$1))
[/pre]
...returns 33, the formula in cell I2 and copied to J2. Can be copied DOWN as well.

Skip,
[sub]

I have updated avscorreia's spreadsheet by adding a composite column (C5&B5), which can then be used with Match to return the row index for a specified player and year, which can be used in the Index function, so you don't need to set up a pivot table. =INDEX(D$5:D$10,MATCH($P$5&$P$4,$M$5:$M$10,0))

Not that there is anything wrong with using a pivot table.

But there is nothing wrong with using a composite column with Index and Match either.

Doug Jenkins
Interactive Design Services

Wow. Thanks everyone. Lots of good info here. Gonna learn a lot from this too. Now I just need time where bosses leave me alone long enough to try all this out. lol

I have never used Pivot Tables before, so I am going to have to do this both ways so I learn both, the formulas and how to use Pivot Tables. :eek:)

I do appreciate this.

Here's a solution using TWO MATCH() functions as you originally requested...
[tt]
=INDEX(INDIRECT(I$1),MATCH($G2,OFFSET(Player,MATCH($H2,Player,0)-1,-1,COUNTIF(Player,$H2),1),0),1)
[/tt]

This solution would be necessary when the return value is NUMERIC and can be achieved using some aggregation.

Skip,
[sub]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back