Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Indexing Conveyor Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

450x

Electrical
Mar 14, 2006
CA
Hello,

I have an application that involves two short (10 feet), and parallel (2 feet apart) indexing conveyors that are mechanically linked through shafts and at either end. Each conveyor is made from matching timing belts and timing pulleys. The conveyor is used to transport sections of stainless steel tube that sit in profiles that are attached to the timing belts. The conveyor is driven by a servo drive and servo motor with a gearbox (ratio to be determined). I need to index the conveyor a distance that matches the profile pitch, then stop and wait for another index trigger from another piece of machinery. The indexing is always in the same direction so the profiles on the belt will “recirculate”. Lets assume that I have ten indexes in one full rotation of the conveyor, will I get accumulating positional errors if I perform my index solely on the encoder count from the servo motor, or should I use a registration sensor? When I spec a gearbox, is the ratio an exact ratio? ie could a nominal 3:1 gearbox be in reality a 3.0000001:1?

Thanks
Martin

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Skogsgurra

I appreciate your feedback. I found this forum after my original posting and thought is was more appropriate for my question. I will not "double post" in the future.

Martin

You should define your positional tolerance requirements and index speed requirements. Sounds like this could be easily done with an AC induction motor, gearbox, and inverter drive. See for an online simulator/gearmotor selector program to determine the correct gearmotor for your needs. Your application is very textbook, perhaps other gearmotor companies have something similar (Dodge, Nord, others)

TygerDawg

The gear box shouldn't give you problems in that respect. If the conveyors are linked with a common shaft, then you should be able to just use the encoder on the Servo.

However, some type of home sensor is always a good idea, in addition to the servo encoder.

Measure and verify.

Charlie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back