Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Indicators of hardware weaknesses?

Status
Not open for further replies.

scout67

Mechanical
May 7, 2013
US
First I would like to thank the members who share their knowledge on this site. I lurk here often picking up bits of useful information.

I would like to ask if there are clues during the file loading process that indicate hardware weaknesses? While opening our files, most "hang" at 45%. I cannot remember who or where I heard, that if they "hang" at 45% it indicates the video card is a bottleneck.

Again, I am only recalling a very old comment made during a conversation, but I would like to know if there is any truth to it.

Beyond that item, are there any tell tale indicators of hardware weaknesses?

Thank you for any responses.

Currently using NX12
Ken

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Ken,
Can you post your hardware specs? Also the files size and the number of files if it's an assembly? Some other things to look at are, if you're using lightweight components, fully or partial loaded components and also the display settings for models. Back to hardware, if you're running older hardware, you can't expect it to run like top spec hardware but you can adjust settings accordingly. The tradeoff would be things like using partial assembly loading and backing off graphics settings so your circles and non-prismatic faces might be a bit segment-looking.

I am dealing more with prismatic aero and defense parts lately but when I worked in mold making, some of those models were very detailed with many blends and nurbs faces. Some models were STL too. I recall adjusting settings back and forth with widely varying results so I recommend you test making adjustments. Read the NX docs first and record your current settings before making changes.

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back