Induction or arc furnace 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mawad

Mechanical
Dec 8, 2010
EG
Dear All,
I would be grateful if you can help me. Our steel company want to buy a furnace with 25 ton capacity for continuous casting process. We are confused with type of furnace we should select (Induction or arc electrical furnace). I read alot of information on internet and I am still confused. Which one do you recommend based on your experience. Looking forward for your advice.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What material are you metling? What form is your feedstock?
Induction will create less dust and give you more control.
Arc will likely be faster and therefore use less power, though there is also the cost of electrodes.
Induction has more complicated and expensive power supplies.
Which is more common in your area? Getting skilled and experienced workers is also a factor.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy

Many thanks for your reply. Can you give me more details what do you mean by operator issues? Are the same operator issues not exist in electric arc furnace. Also, what are the critical sizes in tons to choose either induction furnace or electric arc?

EAF usually run from about 20T up through 400T in size.
With IMF usually capacity running from 0.5kg to 50T.
IMF requires cleaner feed stock, but lets you keep the material cleaner also.
IMF is more demanding on cooling water (quality and temperature).
EAF needs very good dust control equipment, and if you are not careful you can burn off a lot of metal. Slag formation and control is important with these.
Both can have steam explosions if you have refractory failures, I have witnessed a small IMF failure and the aftermath of a 200T EAF failure. No one was killed in either event because the companies were very strict about where personnel could be during melting operations.
What are you doing to be using for secondary processing (ladle metallurgy)? Any refining or degassing?

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy

Mawad, I am not aware from which part of the world you come. I shall make a few comments:

Arc furnaces are flexible to melt and can accept all types oof scrap as refinement is possible.

Induction furnace melting no refining is possible.

Graphite electrodes and refractories are major consumable cost in Arc Furnace.

No graphite electrodes for induction furnace melting.

Skilled operators (short supply) needed for arc furnace melting.

Semiskilled operators are adequate.

Melting power and maintenance cost is higher in arc furnace.

Capital cost for Induction furnace is higher than arc furnace.

You can now make your intelligent choice.

"Even,if you are a minority of one, truth is the truth."

Mahatma Gandhi.

Induction furnace uses electromagnetic eddy current to heat up material, so it is more efficient, quicker and cleaner (correspondingly ask for cleaner scraps), less loss on active elements, however, I recommend arc furnace.

The biggest reason is the refining capability! Intrinsically, it offers better quality of steel. Especially when it is used for continuous casting which is often more demanding than static casting. And especially when you are NOT making electrodes for further re-melting.

AOD process in ARC melting is essence for some alloys. Arc is more flexible, more versatile.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back