Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

inductive generation of power from AC motors 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

nosmo

Industrial
Oct 22, 2002
US
I have had various sources of information indicating that an A.C. Squirel cage motor can be wired to "GENERATE" A.C.
"Simply turn the shaft and add some D.C. to some of the windings and A.C.will appear accross some of the other windings. Having set up several differant A.C.motors in my lathe to test these statements, I have never been able to generate any voltage from associated windings.
I suppose, if I were to connect the A.C.lines to a motor while forcibly turning it faster than the ascynchronous speed it would generate or force power back towards the power station.
Has any one had experience with "INDUCTIVE" generation of power as described above?

Regards NOSMO

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Induction generators are used occasionally.
They are usually three phase and are connected to the THREE phase supply (ie fulkl rated voltage) when up to near "synchronous" speed. On synchronising, they draw magentising current as if they were motors started DOL, ie 6 to 8 TIMES FLC! THEN they will behave as predicted by the circle diagram.
They can be played with up and down in speed to vary their output (or consumption if the turbine/prime mover slows down). In Victoria Australia we have a 2 MW unit on a small dam (running out of water at present) and a 7.5 MW unit on one of the Melbourne water supply dams.

Induction generators are used occasionally.
They are usually three phase and are connected to the THREE phase supply (ie full rated voltage) when up to near "synchronous" speed. On synchronising, they draw magentising current as if they were motors started DOL, ie 6 to 8 TIMES FLC! THEN they will behave as predicted by the circle diagram.
They can be played with up and down in speed to vary their output (or consumption if the turbine/prime mover slows down). In Victoria Australia we have a 2 MW unit on a small dam (running out of water at present) and a 7.5 MW unit on one of the Melbourne water supply dams.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back