Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Industrial concrete pavers, infiltration via joints 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

bsems

Civil/Environmental
Feb 19, 2003
BE

I am proposing to provide heavy duty concrete pavers for a container terminal. I have been cautioned about the detrimental effect of infiltration via the sand filled joints into the underlying sand bedding and lime stabilised gravel base, leading to weakening of the base by saturation.

Can anyone there advise me on the likelihood of such an occurence, and probably the minimum concrete paver slope to avoid this?

Will also appreciate if I can be directed to documented literature on the subject.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Assuming that this terminal is in a geographic area that has frequent to periodic rain your design has flaws. Water will seep into the base course through the sand joints and will lead to a loss of uniform support for indivigual pavers. Also, lime stabilization of a "gravel base" is not very effective. Lime stabilization is best used on soils that have fine colloidal material on which the lime can interact with the silicia particals to form aglomerations that aid in stabilizing the material. Cement stabilization would be better. Also, chaging the slope of the pavement will have a minimal effect for the water will still find its way into the joints and then into the underlying base course.

If the pavers are only for looks then I would recommend placing a reinforced concrete pavement below the pavers. The minimum cross falls can then be in the order of 1 in 100. Which is very beneficial for fork lifts and low level trucks, as changes in grade are minimal.

In a container yard your pavement will be subject to heavy "screwing" loads. These loads will typically try to tear a pavement apart, hence the preference for a rigid pavement. The added benefit of this is that you completely seal the subgrade, thus preventing water penetration.

Regards

sc

I would contact a paver manufacturer like Wausau Tile Co. in the U.S. Their technical services department could provide much information and standard details, taylored to your specific project. I don't have their website address, but I'm sure a web search would find it.

Pavers are not cheap. I would think a concrete slab would be less expensive, more maintence free, better draining, stronger and could be architecturaly finished.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back