Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Industrial engineering common times

Status
Not open for further replies.

quackerwhacker

Industrial
Nov 8, 2002
US
I need to know if there are tables available that show how long the average human being takes to perform a certain task. Specifically, I need to know how long it takes someone to install 5 nuts and washers to a threaded stud. We perform time studies at my company, but we are looking to standardize times for certain elements across the company. I need to know if there are published industrial engineering standards that list times for tasks that are common to a manufacturing facility.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Try with MTM or MTM 2 methods (Method time measurments). The whole procedure is divided to a basic particles which have it's own values (TMU's). Just imagine that all that work is sequenced in a smaller parts For explanation:

Reaching for a part is 16 TMU's
Grabing a part 3 TMU's

and so on. When you split whole procedure, define it with times for each, then add some time for other factors (multply with 1.3854, i think :) ). This time is the real time for making this job.

Also on Net there are avilable software that do this for you (TiCon, ProCon etc.)

I suggest that you develop your own standard times using
MTM or Work Factor. It is a very simple exercise. Any
pick up and place with one hand takes about .05 min. There are MTM tables that you can use. The same goes for Work Factor. Work Factor uses larger units of measurement and for me was a lot easier to use. Both are good.

You may be able to get what you need at the library of a local engineering college. However, the books you find on predetermined time standards may only consist of a good summary on how to use (MTM, MOST, Modapts, etc.)and some examples. This may be all you need for your purpose, but it might not be. The only place I have seen complete data is to purchase it from Maynard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back