Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Industrial Engineers - What do I use for "i"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Christine74

Mechanical
Oct 8, 2002
US
When I took Engineering Economic Analysis in college, for every problem they gave you the value to use for the interest i (usually 10%). I was somewhat surprised by this because this value is so critical in solving the problem.

So how do I know what to use for i?

Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Well, the proper value for 'i' is always a very touchy topic. An (overly) simplified method is to look at your next best alternative rates available. In other words, are you *borrowing* money? - -then use the rates that you get from your financing institution(s). Or are you looking at value of doing a project? - -Then you may be looking at the best rates you could get by *investing* your money (rather than doing the project). For a more in-depth analysis, review with your finance managers.

Curmudgeon

One thing that you have to remember.....school vs. the real world analysis. Thats why you get paid to bucks, that sometimes means you being able to do the research for the results that you want.

If this is a personal question, the i you need is the interest rate you are paying on your most expensive credit card, or the rate you expect to make on your best investment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back