Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Industrial Exhaust and Scrap Conveyance Fan Control

Status
Not open for further replies.

NRGGUY

Mechanical
Aug 20, 2003
US
I am working with a cardboard manufacturing plant that uses exhaust fans to remove small trim scrap and particles from the cutting machines. Typically, a mechanical conveyor carries scrap from the machine to the opening of a round 10 to 16 inch duct where it is drawn into the duct and conveyed to a cyclone. Typically there are two machines connected to each duct so a fan must operate if either of the machines is being used. Frequently only one or the other of the machines is in use. I would like to shut off the intake of the duct if a machine is inactive (either manually or preferably automatically). This will require reducing the airflow (fan speed) to the second machine so that the "suction" at its intake is not too great. My questions are:
1. Can you recommend a high pressure automatic "valve" or damper that can be used to shut off and isolate the inactive machine. A "blast gate" would do, but I was hoping for something more elegant. I envision either manual control or automatic control tied into the machine controls.
2. I will need to control the fan speed using velocity or static pressure in the exhaust duct. What kind of sensor can i use that will withstand the scrap and dust moving in the duct?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back