Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Industrial power systems protection

Status
Not open for further replies.

apprenteng

Electrical
Jul 31, 2008
KE
I am relatively new in this field but I have been assigned a duty to train some of our client's on application of various relays on protection of industrial motors and associated transformers. I need help, may be with literature or specific notes on application of the above please.

Than you guys.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Check out faq238-1287

----------------------------------
image.php

If we learn from our mistakes I'm getting a great education!

IEEE Std 242, IEEE Recommended Practice for Protection and Coordination of Industrial and Commercial Power Systems, Buff Book.

apprenteng--

Not a reflection you, BUT...

Does anybody besides me see something wrong with this picture?

I guess I've been subjected to one too many 'training' sessions where the instructor was a guy who read the book a chapter ahead of us poor slugs who were going to have to put the information to use.

That being said, I'd much rather see somebody who'd been around system protection long enough to be able to speak on common schemes off the knowledge already in his head than try to do the training having just read the book.

I've conducted some of these training sessions myself and I find that theoretical knowledge coupled with field application, both modulated by what the class actually has installed inside their fences, makes for good instruction.

And don't get me started on classes given by 'sales engineers'...

old field guy

Go to the FAQ referenced by ScottyUK above. Start with Blackburn's Protection book; read that one two or three times. Blackburn's Symmetrical Components book is a good next step. Follow that with the Areva material; then Anderson's Analysis of Faulted Power Systems and his Protection book. Once you're comfortable with all that material then you're ready to go out and make a living teaching protection.

But that is all book knowledge, as OFG mentioned thats not enough for effective teaching, field experience is a must. Read all those books, go test relays for a few years, then teach it.

I liked the other option suggested by Oldfieldguy; have somebody else do the teaching! It's the in-thing right now. We call it "outsourcing". We must admit that electrical engineering practice is broader than we think it is. Others specialize on things better than we do. Even under your own pocket, you could save some bucks!

The whole 'instruction' thing is an area that isn't given a lot of thought by many companies.

For instance, I know some people who are complete experts in their particular fields, but instructors, they're NOT.

Preparing and delivering a block of instruction requires an understanding of (get this!) teaching. I got mucho training in building and delivering instruction whilst in the military. It has served me well.

others became good instructors by emulating the better traits of some of their own instructors. That's okay, too.

However, dragging somebody out of the office and telling him to go deliver a class is often a prescription for a less than satisfactory result.

Once you have a defined scope for a block of instruction, you can figure a minimum of four hours prep work for each classroom hour, more if you're developing your own visual presentation and using hands-on equipment for exercises.

Not trying to scare anybody her, folks, just sort of mapping out the territory...

old field guy

As a technical trainer for 14 years I have to agree with OFG, knowlege alone does not a good instructor make but it is a key ingredient. And I agree with Burnt2x, this is a broad field, I stuck to the topics I knew best, learned everything I could about them, got the field experience, and developed the courseware, the more you learn about power engineering the more you realized how little you know.

"the more you learn about power engineering the more you realized how little you know"
Zogzog, Great!!! It's true
Best Regards.
Slava

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back