Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Industry History 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zpotlight

Industrial
Feb 5, 2004
AR
Hi, i'm an Industrial Engenieer and I wanted to kwon if exists a book (or other source) that covers industry evolution from 1970 up to now.
Thank's a lot

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Zlpotlight:
Interesting question. Which industry?

When I was working for Manufacturing Engineering magazine in the 1980s, I kept finding that many "recent" ideas were far older than I thought. The wing root of the North American P-51 Mustang was modeled mathematically, for example (though I'm sure the production dies were taken from hand-carved maple models)... a step or two away from computer-aided design... if there had been computers and CRTs dedicated to this back then.

Textbooks and industrial magazines might give you clues, but you're stuck doing your own research. The mags of the 1970s will have some things in their new products sections... but most were and are selected not by experts in industrial needs but by junior editors, so complex, new ideas might not be reflected.

Textbooks always lag at least 18 months and more likely 3 years or more behind real life, so you might start by looking at the forewords for revised editions (which tell you what's new in the book) for texts on industrial engineering from 1972 on.

An engineering university library, especially one where the old stuff isn't thrown out, might be your best bet.

Dave G.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back