Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Industry pratice for Flammables (above flash point) loading/off loading - loading arms or hoses.. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamesbanda

Chemical
Sep 21, 2004
US
Dear all,

We've been reviewing our pratices and i'd like some perspectives on what is typical for dealing with flammable chemical off loading/loading.. our stance is that we use a robust management procedure and inspect hoses very regually and we dont use loading arms..

we only use loading arms for refrigerent toxic gases and very toxic and flammable tankers typically thoses that are in high pressure rated tankers (upto 10 barg), or strong acids.. i've had discussions that loading arms are also prone for some failures or man handling issues and you need to carefully specifify those..

it would seem thatloading arms are not used for petrol (gasoline ) at filling stations for cars (E.G. a flammable) but they are used at terminals.. for say 1 per hour operation..

i'd be interested in what other chemical company standards are..

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

At my former employer, we loaded up to 700+ TPD of C3s, C4s, and mixed C5-C8 into pressurised rail cars using loading arms exclusively. 24 hour operation with loading arms in continuous use. Never had any problems as far as I can remember. Arms were correctly counterbalanced, and access was well thought out. Never had any injuries or incidents.

james....

I believe that this has the potential to grow into a very informative and useful thread.

I am more than a little curious about the codes, standards and regulations governing flex hoses and loading arms. I see them as an extension of the piping system.

Since many piping systems in this type of service are governed by ASME B31.3 and since this code breaks piping systems into various "hazardous categories" (e.g. Category M), I wonder if there is a similar system in place for flex hoses and loading arms ? (I have never seen one....)

Are these components marketed and sold as simply "really good in hazardous duty " ?

Also, since this is an obvious area for plant disasters and accidents, are there any augmented OSHA or other quality or inspection requirements for these components ??

Anybody ??

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back