Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Inexpensive methods/materials for constructing a driveway

Status
Not open for further replies.

surfcave

Civil/Environmental
May 23, 2001
ZA
The driveway (5 m long by 3 m wide) up to our church grounds is being eroded away by rain and car tyres. The driveway's insitu material at the moment is a fine grained silty/sand. Over its 5 m length the driveway rises to a height of about 0,75 m. I am looking for inexpensive methods/materials for constructing a reliable driveway

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I think reinforced concrete will be best. From my viewpoint, make the slab no less thick than 150 mm (200 or 250 mm better), and reinforce both bottom and top faces and directions with at least 8 mm rebar @20 cm or so. Ensure a sleeper beam on the ground at the bottom of the slope warrants it will stay in place without sliding. Confine laterally with thicker stones the sand to prevent by lateral movement loss of support of the slab. Lateral or perimeter on the ground beams would also be good, as any preventive measures taken to prevent loss of support out of washing or loss ob subgrade amterial, even laterally. Making the subgrade with thicker stoness added will also help. And to prevent car and pedestrian slippage it is usual to mark horizontal grooves perpendicularly to the maximum slope.

Why not try a crushed rock driveway?

Depending on the type of rock available these can last a reasonable amount of time and can be installed by hand for the size given. Use a basalt crushed rock if possible as this generally locks down very tightly, thus giving a hard wearing surface.

This can also be sealed at a latter date to add further protection against erosion. You could even ask a local earth moving firm if they could donate the materials/perhaps even place it.

regards
sc

I'm in agreement w/ sc. From a cost perspective, crushed rock is an inexpensive way to improve on your sand driveway. My mom lives in the country and has had a crushed rock drive for over 15 years. We have had to add some rock over the years (it has a tendency to compress into the ground), but the cost is minimul campared to the cost of concrete (let alone reinforced concrete). The rocks we have are approx. 1/2" to 1" diameter (about quarter size).

good luck

jproj

Thanks Ishvaaag, SC and Jproj for the advice
Jproj, with regards to the 1/2" to 1" stone. I am from South Africa and we do not work in these dimensions - are " inches or feet ? Thanks again

In the US these are two common unit designations:

" = inches
' = feet

1/2" to 1" is similar to 13mm to 25mm.

HTH!!
---
Andrew

You said you want an inexpensive driveway, not a cheap one. Good idea. Think long term cost as well as initial.

First, look for drainage problems. Is the ground next to the driveway sloped to carry water away from it? Does the driveway have any crown (is it higher in the middle)? Are there drainage swales on both sides?

If you use crushed stone, lay a non-woven geotextile under it. It will keep the silt and sand from migrating upwards and the stone from moving downwards. It adds only a little cost up front, and adds considerably to the lifespan of the driveway.

Lastly, don't forget the importance of maintanance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back