Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Inexpensive printing of RFID prototype antenna? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

rjrunningute

Electrical
Jan 19, 2011
US
I would like to build an inexpensive prototype of an RFID tag style antenna on a flexible substrate using printed electronics.

I am very new to this technology so I hope some of you can help point me in the right direction. I have contacted a few printing companies and they have all told me that to print a prototype would cost about $1000 to $2000. I have a very limited budget and this sounds ridiculously high considering the cost of materials is just a few pennies and I am providing the artwork file.

Does anyone know of a company that provides printing services that would cost more in the range of $100 - $200 or less?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Printing conductive inks is not something the average printer handles, so you're limited in who you can contact. You may be able to get the local university to metallize a film and photo etch it yourself. Another possible option is to find some who uses a RepRap machine and is willing to make one for you.

$100 is pretty darn cheap for a one-off custom print job with such unique materials... just keep that in mind.

Dan - Owner
Footwell%20Animation%20Tiny.gif

Express PCB

Download the free software.

Lay out your antenna on a 3 X 5 card ( approximate dimensions)

you get three in the mail postage paid for $60.00 in the US.

Of course this on a FR4 substrate which may well influence your antenna design.

If you need only one, and the shape of the element is not overly intricate, could you make one yourself by hand using alternate materials (metal foil)? This would be a last resort, and only for the earliest initial prototype.

I like the Express PCB idea. It would be a cheap prototype for testing the radiation pattern and give me some confidence before I spend more on the PE version. The PE version of course would require some tweeks to the matching circuit wich I could do in ADS or Microwave Office. I would imagen that the radiation pattern wouldn't change much.

Tweaking the pattern on a FR4 board is going to be somewhat pointless if that's not the final substrate. If all you're after is a basic RFID antenna design for prototyping/testing purposes, then this thread is somewhat pointless and you should go with the FR4 design.

I second VE's suggestion of metal foil on your desired substrate. Find a foil whose thickness matches your expected copper weight.

But now I'm left wondering what you're truly after...

Dan - Owner
Footwell%20Animation%20Tiny.gif

buy some FR4 and some etching acid from Radio Shack and make it yourself. Or get some thin metal and a razor blade and cut it out, then glue it to some plastic and add a connector for testing.
all depends how you plan to design it, accurately vs. cut and try.

I am assuming that we all know how to make protoboards from FR4--you slice the line width with an Xacto knife, then heat up the copper you want to remove with a very hot soldering iron, and it strips right off.

Maguffin Microwave wireless design consulting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back