Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Inference from Pile Integrity Test

Status
Not open for further replies.

1967pradyot

Geotechnical
Apr 9, 2003
IN
In one of our projects we have 1000mm dia bore cast-in-situ pile having a length of around 28.0m, resting in general on silty sand stratum. We have conducted some pile integrity tests and observed that some results are not usual. Following are our observations:

1) In some cases toe reflection is not distinct or not visible at all.
a) What are the possible reasons for such case?
b) What is the acceptance criterion in this case?
c) Any remedial measures, if this is due to some defects?

2) In some piles necking is noticed. The maximum necking is in the range of 15% at 9.0m depth below pile top.
a) In general practice, % of necking is in term of diameter or c/s?
b) What is the acceptance criterion in case of necking?
c) Any codal provision is followed elsewhere in US and European countries?
d) Any remedial measures can be undertaken?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

1967praydot:

What testing did you do - small strain integrity tests. I presume. I had some tests done in 1987 on 1.2 m diamenter bored piles 20 m deep. Tests were okay, toe indicated.

There is an FHWA publication that discusses necking etc in bored piles and integrity etc. I can't remember the date off hand but withinh the last 6 years. This should give yo some answers as these necked piles were tested. I will make a search and let you know later if you cannot find same.

For the 1987 tests I was concerned about pile integrity wrt to method of installation which was done by a French system -Ben... system. Forgot the name. However, bentonite slurry and a chopping bit was used to advance the hole. The slurry was displeced by the concrete. I was concerned about loss in skin frictional resistance and inclusion of slurry in concrete.

Regards

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back