Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Infiltration Trench

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sathre

Civil/Environmental
Jan 31, 2014
US
Does anyone have a good way to model a sloped infiltration trench? I have a 5 ft wide trench, 3 feet deep with, 300ft long at about 1.5% slope. Do you just set up the model with multiple custom stage storage? Do you need to have some sort of outlet from each storage to the next?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

How are you planning to model the trench? If you're using a pond, you could use custom storage, but an easy "trick" is to use the pipe storage option with a 5x3 box.

However, your slope of 1.5% over 300 feet means that the trench drops 4.5 feet over it's length. Since the drop is greater than the nominal 3 foot depth, you really only have 3 feet of available depth (at the low end) tapering to zero depth after 200 feet. The remaining 100 feet will never hold any water - assuming a level water surface.

Peter Smart
HydroCAD Software

No, the extended length is to catch runoff. I am running the trench across the rear yards of 7 lots in a new development. I had modeled the trench as a pipe with void storage over the 3 ft depth (20%) and then an additional pipe storage above that of 1ft with 100% voids for live storage. So a small infiltration trench / ditch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back