Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Influence of compaction on strength parameters and permeability

Status
Not open for further replies.

kievo

Civil/Environmental
Jul 29, 2015
BE
Dear all,

I read almost everywhere that soil with a higher compaction has more resistance, less deformation and is less permeable. While I do understand why this statement could be true, I can't find anywhere to what degree this is. More specific, I am looking for theoretical/experimental relationships between the degree of compaction and soil strength parameters, such as the cohesion, angle of friction, undrained shear strength etc and the coefficient of permeability.

Is there any literature or common knowledge available on this topic?

Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Go back to basic weight-volume relationships. You can compute the various parameters and see how they change with density.

saturated permeability has more to do with compaction water content then percent compaction. Mike Duncan gave me correlations in grad school regarding friction angle, cohesion and the like. Again, these are also related to compaction water content. In other words, the friction angle, cohesion, and permeability will all be different for 95 percent compaction if the compaction water content varies from below to above optimum. It's not a straight correlation related to weight-volume relations.

Mitchell, Hooper and Campenola (sp) published on permeability (ASCE) in the '60s.

f-d

ípapß gordo ainÆt no madre flaca!

Check Fang's Foundation Engineering Handbook - Chapter on Compaction. Check Bishop's paper in the 1960 Conference on Compacted Clays (ASCE). Check ORN #3 (or ORN #31 - can't remember which one) on road construction in the tropics where they have some data on strength and compaction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back