Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Influence of electromagnetic pipeline mapper in magnetic flowmeters

Status
Not open for further replies.

dannym6

Industrial
Aug 26, 2010
PE
Hello,

I'm looking for references and/or comments about the effects that can be produced from a Electromagnetic Pipeline Mapper (e.g. Link) on a magnetic flowmeter. I'd like to know any obstacle or special consideration when using both equipments at same time on a pipeline (water) of more than 10 km.

As far as I've searched the pipeline mapper systems send a current along the pipe in a range of 10 to 200 mA aproximately, with frequency in a range of 4 to 200 Hz. Basically the system work this way: A Transmitter is located a some point over the pipeline (buried) and connected to this, the operator later will carry a receiver and walk over the buried pipeline, the receiver will sense the magnetic distortion caused by the current flowing through the pipe, an especial accesory is also used to detect some imperfections with increased accuracy.

Any comment or advice is welcome

Thanks for your time

Danny Alarcón S.
Instrumentation & Control
GMI Ingenierios Consultores
Lima Perú

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I suggest that you contact the manufacturer of the mag flow meter in question. Most mag flow meters will have grounding rings installed one or both sides which may affect the pipeline mapper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back