Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Info on Fracture Mechanics 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

freckle

Aerospace
Mar 6, 2001
NL
Does anyone have info/requirements/data on Fracture Mechanics and Fatigue/Damage Tolerance specifically in Aircraft.
Books, articles (preferably available on the Net) and websites, etc.
Amongst others I am trying to find the MSG3 document.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

For a very good practical introduction to fracture mechanics and damage tolerance analysis as applied in engineering you could try and obtain "The Practical Use of Fracture Mechanics" by David Broek, published by Kluwer Academic Publishers.

The various papers and articles by Tom Swift give an excellent picture of fracture mechanics and damage tolerance in airframes. I can send you a list of titles if you wish.

Try the website of Willis and Kaplan Inc. They have good on-line papers on DT analysis.

Broek also has an article on DT analysis in Volume 19 of the Metals Handbook, published by the ASM.

I hope that this is useful.

Andries

Hello Andries,

I have checked the website of Willis & Kaplan, Inc., but have failed to find any online papers on damage tolerance. Could you give me the exact details on how to find these papers and any other literature.
Also how would I acess Broke's article on DT analysis in Volume 19 of the Metals Handbook, published by the ASM.

Thanks

The FAA have a DTA program called RAPID. It is a very useful tool and has excellent information in the analysis methods documentation that accompanies it. It is free to download from the FAA. I will post the link at the end of this message.

I also have a couple of FAA guidline documents re. DTA. These are not available online, but I can email them to you if you like. They were writen by key people in the Seattle Aircraft Certification Office and the LA Aircraft Certification Office.

Nigel Waterhouse
n_a_waterhouse@hotmail.com

A licensed aircraft mechanic and graduate engineer. Attended university in England and graduated in 1996. Currenty,living in British Columbia,Canada, working as a design engineer responsible for aircraft mods and STC's.

Hi Ynggrad,

It appears that Willis & Kaplan have recently dissolved their company.
Kaplan now works at Armstrong Aerospace, but they have no articles on damage tolerance.
This company's website is info@armstrongaerospace.com

There is however still a good article by Kaplan on CASA aircraft landing gear DT analysis at the following site:
I checked it out on 17 March 2003 and it is well worth downloading.

As regards the Metals Handdbook, the full title is:

ASM Handbook
Volume 19
Fatigue and Fracture

Published by ASM International.
(ASM stands for the American Society of Metals)

This series should be available at university libraries or libraries of technical or scientific organisations.
Since I could fall foul of copyright laws I unfortunately cannot make a copy of the relevant section written by Broek.

Regards

Andries

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back