Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Info onUS wiring standards & codes

Status
Not open for further replies.

epdgraham

Electrical
Apr 2, 2003
NZ
We are a small electrical company in New Zealand facing the prospect of supplying the electric control system for a waste water treatment system soon to be exported to the US. What we are needing to know are the appropriate wiring codes and regulations we should be following and where on the 'net we can find them.
Regards, Graham Abraham

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There are several types of equipment that go into a water treatment plant. Since I don't know exactly what you are supplying. A good place to start would be UL 508A, NFPA 79, NFPA 70 (NEC), and UL 73. Keep in mind that in the US depending on the installation and where it is installed, could be an issue when it comes to local inspectors having jurisdiction. I recommend you have a company like TUV come and list your system or at least the electrical panels. Most local Inspectors will not except an installation unless the system is listed, it is a requirement of the NEC article 110.2 and 110.3.

The controllers of waiste water plants are usually very complexed, some equipment depending on where it is installed in the facility may have to meet explosive atmosphere. Be sure you know how, where and with what other equipment you products will be used. This could determin a completely different buid and cost from what you may be thinking.

Please feel free to contact me for more information. Christopher Caserta
ccaserta@us.tuv.com
Ph:904-225-0360

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back