Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

INFORMATION REGARDING ALKANOLAMINE GAS TREATING 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

aviador2006

Chemical
Feb 24, 2006
VE
Greetings all from Venezuela, I´ve been assigned in the simulation of alkanolamine plants for gas treating using Tsweet, and i don´t have any experience at all in this area, and I would be pleased if someone could indicate me where i can find general rules of thumbs, guidelines or typical values (amine loadings, temp., pressures, heat duty of reboiler and condenser, etc) for the design of the different units (absorber, stripper, flash tank, r/l amine exchanger, etc).

Also, I performed the simulation of a gas having a P=1290psia, T=120F, Flow rate= 70MMSCFD, Composition of:
(mole fraction)
H2O=0.002
H2S=0.008
CO2=0.08
N2=0.003
C1=0.66692
C2=0.111
C3=0.076
IC4=0.014
NC4=0.026
IC5=0.006
NC5=0.007
C6=0.005
C7=0.002
C8=0.001

My goal is to achieve a treated gas having 4ppm max of H2S and 2-3%max CO2

I use MDEA,50%, and I specified a rich loading of 0.5, Tleanin=130F, Flashtank Pressure of 70psia, 20trays in the absorber and stripper with 0.25pdrop/tray, 70%flooding on both columns, Trichinstripper=210F, 1.5reflux ratio among other data. I obtained 0.04% CO2 and 0.732ppm H2S as a result in the simulator, which are acceptable, BUT are my assumptions reasonable?, can someone check and see if the heat duties (ex: 44000000Btu/hr for the reboiler, 18000000Btu/hr for the r/l heat exchanger )are in the operational range for a case like this?

Sorry for this big question, but as you can all see, im a rookie in this field. Thanks, take care. Bye

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Aviador2006:

I strongly suggest that you contact Bryan Research and Engineering as . They developed the TSWEET program and they should be able to help you.

Milton Beychok
(Visit me at www.air-dispersion.com)

Aviador:

That's an excellent point Milton has made. The folks at BRE have always been very responsive and helpful with their software. In fact, I believe they give you free training if you buy their software package.

If you'll notice their website, they give you free, downloadable tutorials in TSweet as well as in their other software. If you are lacking experience in simulation and needs specific training in TSweet, I would recommend he take the direct flight from Caracas or Maracaibo to Houston. From Bush Intercontinental airport it is only 1.5 hours of driving to get to BRE in Bryan, TX. These people specialize in nothing but gas treating and processing - unlike Aspen and HySys who are out to take on all of the processing world - with a lot of slips, errors, and flaws. Downloading and reading their vast library on gas sweetening and purification is enough to keep one busy for days on end. That's the first thing I would recommend you to do in order to get some background in gas sweetening operations and their design.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back