Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Infrared Temperature of Bus plug

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shray

Electrical
Mar 14, 2005
US
I have recently installed 2 600 amp bus plugs on some 480VAC 1600 amp bus duct. Each of them are feeding chillers which draw approximately 450 - 500 amps on an ongoing basis. Therefore, out of concern, I infrared checked each bus plug with a Flir camera from the production floor. Hottest spot on the outside of the bus plugs is 100 degrees F. Since the bus is about 5 feet from the roof deck the ambient temperature is probaly 85 degrees F. I was wondering what is the temperature threshold on the outside of the bus plug when I should be concerned ?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There are no hard and fast guidelines. The best thing to do is compare this plug to another plug. I would also suggest you check it under full load and re-check it several times to see if there are any changes. Heat from the roof can certainly affect the temperatures as can lights or HVAC.

The pattern is also important; are there any hot spots that cannot be explained. Often times even a few degrees difference can indicate serious heating, depending on the exact configuration and conditions.

Also, I'm assuming you have made sure you are working within the limitations of your measurement resolution! Shooting bus plugs often pushes the limits of what you can do depending on the lens and the camera.

If I can be of further assistance, please feel free to contact me.
John Snell
Snell Infrared

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back