Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Infrared window installation

Status
Not open for further replies.

gronk2003

Electrical
Aug 18, 2003
CA
I need some information on installing either the infrared windows (HawkIR) or the Mikron Spyglass lens in existing switchgear or MCC's (13.8KV - 600V). Alot of the articles I have read refer to the device being good for Nema 3 and 4 installations.
What we need to know is:
1)What approvals do we require to have these installed and 2) Are they rated for the pressure blast from a fault?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Standard glass does NOT work for most of the long-wave (8-15 microns) sensing cameras used today.

There is a great deal of conflicting information about window installation. I would urge you to discuss internally as you move forward. I would suggest that both of these products are being used successfully by many companies at this time. Placement and temperature measurement are two very important issues to be reckoned with, as is safety. MANY unanswered questions at this point. We hope to address some of these in an article soon.

If I can be of further assistance, please feel free to contact me.
John Snell
Snell Infrared

Have you considered continuous IR monitoring? Small IR cameras are permantly installed at critical points and data is recorded. ww.psc-exertherm.com

Yes, this is a great little product ( It will be fascinating to see results as it is installed. Numerous other online devices are also coming rapidly. While I don't anticipate this taking the place of IR inspections, with or without windows/ports, it certainly can provide a viable solution for monitoring equipment that is remote or too problematic to inspect otherwise, such as high energy or in explosive environments.

Just don't forget to increase emissivity if you use this or any other radiation sensing device!!

If I can be of further assistance, please feel free to contact me.
John Snell
Snell Infrared

Hi,

I will try to answer these questions in as non-commercial manner as possible, but to be upfront from the start I work for Hawk IR International, manufacturer of Hawk IR Sightglasses.

Firstly, IR Ports;

a) No IR port, of any kind can hold any NEMA/UL50 Type rating other than Type 1 (indoor) as they are nothing more than a hole. When supplied with covers, the environmental integrity of the entire device maybe increased BUT as a manufacturer of IR ports we do not advocate the use of this kind of device in any kind of outdoor application from a pure common-sense standpoint i.e. if the cover is left off, or is removed - for whatever reason - there is an open hole in the switchgear which, should it rain for example, would be very bad. Electricity and water do not mix well.

IR Ports should only be used indoors.

b) No IR port can hold any kind of arc-blast\calorie rating, again this is common sense stuff, an open hole o series of holes cannot ever provide protection from an arc-fault event. The philosphy behind NFPA70E is that should there be a "clear path to arc" between live electrical equipment and the "operator" then PPE should be worn. With IR ports, the same PPE should be worn as if the infrared scan were being performed with the cover open EXCEPT in circumstances when convection cooling vents are installed in LV switchgear, in this case the IR port when in the open position (cover removed) must prevent the penetration of a finger into the switchgear, in order to retain the original protection concept of the equipment.

What do we mean by "Protection Concept"? Well, if a low voltage (<=600V) board incorporates convection vents, then the safety of the operator under an arc-fault condition, even with the covers closed is minimal as there is a path to arc via the convection vents. This is one of the reasons why there are defined boundary's and locked doors to prevent access to switchgear even if the covers are closed.

PPE must be selected carefully when using IR Ports, maintaining the original protection concept of the switchgear is paramount with IR Ports. If there are no "holes" then none should be introduced, if there are "holes" i.e. convection vents, then IR ports can be used so long as the port does not allow finger penetration into the switchgear.

IR Windows

a) IR windows can be rated for outdoor use, make sure you match the Type rating of the IR window with that of your switchgear and insist on a certificate from the manufacturer. There are companies who provide European certified IR windows (IP-Rated) and try claim this is equivalent to NEMA/UL50, it is not. As an end-user you ma be liable for de-rating switchgear, especially outdoor equipment, if you install a European certified component onto a NEMA piece of equipment.

b) IR windows can be blast tested. Once a series of tests have been performed it is possible to calculate an equivalent calorie/cm2 withstand capability of the optic material and equate this to the PPE requirement on that circuit. Again, request third party certification of any blast-tests, from a liaility standpoint you as the customer must show due diligence in order to provide best protection to your personnel and back the decision up with facts. If there is an incendent and OSHA investigate, then you may need to provide certification proof of your choices.

I could go on but at the risk of getting commercial I will stop here, we have a large number of papers, both technical and otherwise on this subject, please dont hesitate to contact me for more information or visit our website
Thanks for reading.

Best Regards,

Tony Holliday MIEEE MIDiagE
Hawk IR International Ltd.
Web.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back