Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Ingress Protection (IP) on "T" joint

Status
Not open for further replies.

JD80

Mechanical
Feb 27, 2008
US
I am updating a product made from molded plastic components. Currently the product is IPx2 and it needs to become IPx4.

Please, bear with my explanation, I will not be able to post any images or parts of what I am working with.

The product has a front half, a rear half, and a middle portion sandwiched between the top half of the front and back. The current method of sealing involves applying a "wet seal" onto the edge of the plastic components. Our manufacturing and service departments have requested we switch to a sealing method that is more easily removable (e.g. o-ring, overmolded seal). So this method should be avoided going forward.

I am struggling to figure out how to handle the gap that will exist at the "T" junction. The top of the "T" is a continual edge that has a shape similar to the edge of a hard preformed taco shell. The lower portion of the "T" is a simple "U" shape with the tops of the U touching the bottom portion of the "taco".

How do I close up the pinhole that will likely exist in between the two sealed geometries?

Is there a possible custom 3 dimensional o-ring that can handle this geometry?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

JD80,

I have problems visualising your joint.

Talk to your rubber vendor. One of the things they can do is cut off a piece of rubber tube, and glue the ends together. This gives you a soft o[‑]ring that will work well is a sloppy joint. Does this help?

--
JHG

drawoh
Thank you for the tip, I will contact our supplier and see what they can provide.

handerersdc
That is an interesting method. I will look into it further. Our current seal is applied in a similar manner, but that seal adheres to everything (both mating pieces) and rips apart when the product is serviced. If this can adhere to one surface and stay intact, that will be an improvement.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back