Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Inhibited seawater ?? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

yonghong0505

Chemical
Oct 16, 2012
SG
Hi All,

I am fresh application engineer for pump services. One of my customer stated that their medium to be pumped is inhibited seawater?

I try to google search for this but failed. Can anyone please guide me what is actually define as inhibited seawater? what is the different between seawater?

If possible, more information on this provided is appreciated.

Thanks a lot.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I do not have any experience with "inhibited seawater" - one option that comes to mind: you could ask your customer if they have a water analysis they could provide to you. Even if you can define what inhibited seawater entails, you may still want to have a water chemistry analysis to confirm the materials of your supply.

Tends to mean that they have injected oxygen scavanger and biocides to inhibit corrosion and it normally allows use of carbon steel materials without excessive corrosion.

However It is usually a temporary thing for things like pressure testing.

There is no known standard definition.

You might get it in oil and gas systems where they are injecting seawater down the well, but you will need to be provided with a proper specification of what it is and how reliable the "inhibition" is. A few days of warm aerated sweater and your carbon steel system will corrode very rapidly....

So essentially it's usually about oxygen content and "corrosivity" affecting the materials of your pump

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back