Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Initial Conditions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buzzbromp

Civil/Environmental
Jul 26, 2006
US
I was adjusting my model a variety of ways and noticed that if I apply gravity as with time effects turned off, it doesn't matter if i reapply it with time effects turned on if my transient loading is a displacement time history. Results were the same whether i applied gravity or didn't apply gravity in the transient part of my analysis, and for both cases loads and displacements propagated about the static case as expected. However, if I tried the same analysis with a acceleration time history, this was not the case. If i removed gravity from the transient part, and only had gravity as my initial acceleration, my results propagated about 0, and they were equivalent to not having a gravity load at all. If i added gravity to my acceleration time history, my results included both and propagated about the static results as expected.

This is what I expected, but i was surprised that for the displacement time history, it didn't matter if i applied gravity or not in the transient part. It seems ANSYS knew to keep it applied. Is this correct? I'll play it safe and keep my initial condition applied in the transient portion if it is supposed to be physically.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back