Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Initial sketch constraints... 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

m60gunner

Mechanical
Apr 11, 2002
US
Can anyone tell me how to constrain my first sketch so that it cannot be moved? For instance, I want to create a base sketch of a rectangle, symmetric about the origin (SWX term) or Center Point (INV term). Is there any way to tie the midpoint of a centerline (from opposite corners of the rectangle) to the center point?

Also, how does one now when a sketch is fully constrained? I prefer to work with fully constrained geometry.

Another one: Is it possible to move the initial sketch of a part after it has been created? Case in point - I have a part that is located far away from the origin, and would like to center it on the center point.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Start all of your sketch segments on the Origin (like the corner of your rectangle) and automatic relations will be established. You'll have to Dimension the width and height of your rectangle to get it fully constrained.

The default settings of SWX should change your sketch segments different colors to annotate constratined and under constrained conditions. Fully constrained segments should be black in color, while under constained segments will be blue.

If you need to move a sketch, the best way is to use Tools/Sketch Tools/Modify, or you can just dimension the sketches to the Origin. "Happy the Hare at morning for she is ignorant to the Hunter's waking thoughts."

Oops, sorry, the above was for SolidWorks... I thought I was in the other forum. [ponder] "Happy the Hare at morning for she is ignorant to the Hunter's waking thoughts."

If you want to know if your sketch is fully constrained, put a fix constraint on two lines (one vert, one horz for example) and then when other lines are fully contrained, they will change colour (mine go from light green to dark green)

Ahhh, another SWX person using Inventor.
I still do a derivative this in Inventor as I don't like the idea of fixing something to nowhere (kinda like hanging something in mid air)

I'm thinking that you're trying to draw a box, a diagonal line and fix the midpoint of the diagonal to the origin, leaving you with the datums in the middle of the part, right? Unfortunately, Inventor doesn't allow you to choose to constrain a mid point to something unless you use extra construction lines.

When you create your first sketch, project the other 2 planes. Since you can't draw the diagonal line and constrain it to the origin, you'll have to use the [d1=d2/2] method

Hope this helps,
Jeff

Thanks. I guess if one had never used SWX, it would be pretty obvious. I have begun to "Project Geometry" (as opposed to having my initial sketch automatically constraining itself or "Convert Entities".

It seems that every part I create, I project 2 Planes and the Center Point. Just another Inventor routine to get used to.

Thanks! Air cooled, belt fed, gas operated machine gun firing from the open-bolt position

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back