Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Initiating contact by applying force to rigid body

Status
Not open for further replies.

rm447

Bioengineer
Sep 19, 2007
US
Hi,

I am modeling creep indentation of a material with a rigid flat punch modeled as a rigid analytical surface, and the analysis doesn't converge if I apply the load right away (as also discussed in thread799-293302). Instead I tried displacing the indenter by a small amount (step 1) to bring the two bodies in contact and then apply the force (step 2) by ramping it up to a maximum value and then keep it constant, but the problem is maintaining the correct displacement boundary conditions and forces simultaneously. The problem is the following:

In step one, I apply the small displacement by defining a displacement BC.If I remove this BC in the second step, that just ramps the displacement back to zero over the length of the step, and wouldn't let me see any displacement due to creep under the applied force. If I don't remove it, then it will just keep the value it had in the previous step.

I don't know how to get around this issue! Any ideas?

Thanks,
Kacy

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You may continue the loading by specifying the displacement only. Displace the rigid surface until you reach the desired force, can be plotted as reaction force on the reference point "RF1" if in the x-direction

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back