Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Ink Jet Case Coders

Status
Not open for further replies.

brianlaser

Mechanical
Nov 13, 2002
US
Hello,

I was given a task of finding a suitable replacement for our ink jet case coders. We are printing text and barcodes only. I am looking at Marsh, Domino, Imaje, Diagraph and a few others. Does anyone have any recommendations as to which case coder that I should use?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have used both Domino and Imaje for coding cans, cartons and shippers. We had problems with Domino, about 8 years back, with the spray nozzle clogging quite frequently. The new models have better features and now are perfectly working in a good condition.

I would consider both initial as well as running costs before deciding a coder.

PS: I am not aware of the other two brands you mentioned.

We have had Marsh for about 7 years. We had loads of trouble with the hi-res barcode heads. They were not very robust, they seemed to break easily. And we have had some trouble with the low-res dot matrix type heads that dry up during periods of downtime.

May be a little late to help, but...

I've used Marsh and concur with yzracer's comment about their durability.

Replaced them with Loveshaw Microjet 5x5, which were more reliable and could be rebuilt in-house more readily. Still had problems with nozzles drying out if not properly shut down.

Presently, we use Loveshaw Microjet AC. They have a shipping cover that seals the nozzles when not in use. Our application requires that these things sit idle for weeks, then go into action. We have few problems with them. Only issue was when someone found a bottle of conditioner for 5x5 units and thought it would be good for AC's as well. It wasn't.

We have used Marsh, Imaje and video jet. although i prefer the Video jet for ease of use and set up. we had much less issues with the Imaje. The service costs for the Imaje however is very expensive. even rediculous. The Marsh units are very messy and required constant flushing to clean the nozzles. A good all around unit is the Video Jet.

Ill never use an ink jet in my plant again. We recently went to a print and apply machine using a sato print engine, no more kresto for me..lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back