Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

INLET AND EXIT LOSSES FOR PUMP 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

davincigee

Mechanical
Oct 28, 2012
GH
Hi guys,
I need to find the inlet head losses and exit head losses for a pump rated at 140m3/hr at 62m. Can you please provide the formula for obtaining these losses.
* the inlet size is 4"
* the exit size is 3"

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Is this related to your other post?

These losses are negligible.

My motto: Learn something new every day

Also: There's usually a good reason why everyone does it that way

Why?

It is a capital mistake to theorise before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts. (Sherlock Holmes - A Scandal in Bohemia.)

Dear Guys,
Nope its not related to my other posts. I am developing a system resistance curve for a new pumping system project at our tank farm. I needed to factor in the losses at the entrance of the pump and the exit of the pump. I was hoping I could get the formulae.

If you mean between the flanges of the pump - that's part of the losses of the pump and is taken care of in the pump overall head gain. The pump curve is flange to flange in my experience.

If you mean the piping, then there are many equivalent length formulae about for reducers, elbows etc. For a system resistance curve that's what you need to know.

My motto: Learn something new every day

Also: There's usually a good reason why everyone does it that way

The day you can predict all the other losses with 100% accuracy will be the day you need to add "a bit" for inlet/ outlet losses.

It is a capital mistake to theorise before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts. (Sherlock Holmes - A Scandal in Bohemia.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back