Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Inline Engine configurations/balancing

Status
Not open for further replies.

jratcliffe3

Automotive
Feb 20, 2003
GB
I am looking into the design of a modular, inline powerplant which is to be designed in 40,80,120 and 160kW variants. I was thinking of using maybe an I-twin as my base module, but I am unsure of how to work out the first and second order vibrations, and subsequently balancing measures that would be needed for each of the configurations. I would be grateful if someone could offer me some guidance as to where I could find such information.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Taylor "The internal combustion engine". This book tells you how to design engines from the first line on a piece of a paper.

Your idea is slightly off the wall if you want a modular design, since the crankshaft for the 40 kW will have to be overdesigned ,in many ways, to be suitable for the 160 kW.

Has anyone ever added two cylinders to an I4 to make an I6? Probably. Was it any good? Probably not. The crankshafts are very dissimilar.

Cheers

Greg Locock

Thank you for your help Greg.

I know of the problems with balancing the I6, and the different firing orders require a much different crank arangement than the I-twin, I4 and I8. I will find a way though of matching the cranks to give the required firing order for the I6. I know that it will be easy enough to design the base module so that it can capacitate the I4 and I8 configurations, and also that the I-twin will have an overdesigned crank so that it will have the strength to cope with to increased torque of the I8 variant.

The Internal-combustion Engine in Theory and Practice: Combustion, Fuels, Materials, Design
Charles Fayette Taylor

Is this the book that you are refreeing to Greg?

Cheers

JACK

ISBN 0-262-70026-3 and 0-262-70027-1 are the C. F. Taylor books. If you notice, Taylor was born in 1894 and the second edition that I have was revised in 1985. That guy must have seen a lot!

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back