Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Inline newton meter

Status
Not open for further replies.

mccheynebeeman

Electrical
Feb 28, 2006
CA
I'm looking for a meter that I can use in measuring the amount of force I can place on a frame (a frame supporting two sprockets at each end for a chain drive system) before I have too much deflection in the frame. Anyone know what these are called so I can do a search on them (I typed the subject into google but didn't get much)?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Force transducers need to be in the load path. Are you looking for something that you can use without having to remove any parts or modify your frame?

I'm thinking of just using a chain as it would be in the system, but rather a complete chain I would have the meter and force producer inline with the two chain ends. So, I guess the answer is no, as in I plan on modifying the chain to fit the two parts needed.

Thank you all..

I think a force transducer will work fine for me. 'Dvd', I'm just trying to do a test on my frame to see if it will be strong enough for my application, which will have a torque on the chain of around 400ft/lbs max. So, instead of having it break in the real life senerio, I'd like to measure the amount of force it can handle before I use it. :) See pictures below.

chain-test-setup.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back