Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Innovating Scaffolding Method for Cone shaped API 650 vessel

Status
Not open for further replies.

ianmcdz

Mechanical
Sep 19, 2009
US
Has anybody dealt with different methods of getting work platforms into a large conical vessel? (Approx 150-200' tall) The last conventional scaffolding install took too long for our time slot. The top of the vessel can be removed and there is a 42" manway at the bottom of the cone.

I'm looking for something fast any safe. Any ideas you have experience with would be appreciated.

We've been considering some kind of unfolding scaffolding that can be lowered from the top of some kind of crawler that could be hung from the roof.

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

We have done many of these and they are truly a royal pain. With a good, continuing and understanding customer, we fabricated a "starter" ring or beam that we were able to set on and start the scaffold. Then it went like clockwork.

Cost a few bucks up front - but we use it every year so and it has more than paid for itself.

What's the diameter, is the pointy end at top or bottom, and what do you need to do in there?

Painters routinely paint large standpipes and elevated tanks, and that rigging may or may not be applicable.

We are going to be coating and lining the entire surface. The lining plates will be welded on and are quite heavy, the coating is like an epoxy paint but the whole surface needs to be cleaned before either of these things can happen.

Coolest scaffold I've seen for inside a tank was a large mast thru the center supported top and bottom with skinny plank like platform that essentially cantilever each side and actually rotated about the mast. They had to work in unison loading each side uniformly to limit eccentricity but once they got going coated the inside of an large tank in just a few days.

Also seen complex interal multi-level scaffolding like Safway boiler scaffolding: But takes days to erect and then days to dismantle.

Yeah we're trying to steer clear of the days to erect and days to dismantle.

Is there another form I could try posting this in?
Anybody have any links to useful threads? (I couldn't find any)

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back