Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

input RCA to output RF

Status
Not open for further replies.

charrid

Electrical
Mar 6, 2002
SR
I have a videocard system, but the output of it is a RCA output and the TV input is a RF input.So I do not know if I did the right step by doing the following:
I have used a coax cable, wich one side I put RCA plug and the other side RF plug.When the cable is plugged I do not have Video(picture)on my TV screen.
But when I am using a vide-orecorder it seems it works, still with the video a little bit darker and I do not know if I must adjust the tracking of the VCR or the color setting of my TV.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Your video card output is 'composite video' and the standard connector is a cute little RCA jack (yellow).

Your TV is looking for RF input on a screw-on coaxial F-connector.

To connect these two would require a 'video modulator' (perhaps about US$25 or so at your local Radio Shack or Sri Lanka equivalent ;-) ). Sometimes, a VCR can be pressed into service to peform this function. The usual standard in North America is VHF TV Ch 3 or 4.

A preferrable long term solution might be to purchase a new TV that has one or more 'video in' connectors as well as the normal RF input(s). These video inputs should include 'composite video', 'S-video' and maybe even 'component video'.

Nice explanation available on:

In case you're wondering, it is extremely unlikely that you did any damage to either item by misconnecting them in the manner that you described.

Suggestion: It may be a good idea to contact the hardware manufacturer's tech support. To properly match or integrate interfaces can get more involved.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back